Churches of Christ Sport & Recreation Association
COMMUNITY NEWS RELEASE – TRAGIC LOSS
As many of you have heard, during the Basketball WA State Championships held at Warwick Stadium on 3rd December 2016, a young boy who was playing for the Lakeside U11 team passed away shortly after collapsing courtside.
The young boy was coming off the court during a scheduled break when he collapsed. He was provided with medical support courtside until the ambulance arrived & was taken to Joondalup Hospital.
Warwick Stadium would like to express our heartfelt condolences to the family of the young boy, and to everyone within our community who has been affected by this tragic loss.
We would also like to extend our thanks and appreciation to all our staff who were there on the day and handled this incredibly difficult situation with competence and grace.
In particular, we would like to thank the staff at MTM Physiotherapy Warwick who administered emergency courtside care to the young boy.
The incident is currently being handled by Basketball WA who are assisting the police with their inquiries.
Our focus is on doing whatever we can to support all members of the community in the days and weeks to follow. For anyone who is struggling to come to terms with what happened, we have chaplains available who can provide support. Additional information is attached regarding specific counselling support as required.
We welcome you to take advantage of these services for yourselves and your children, as needed.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time.
For further information on support or counselling services contact Bruce Stuart on 0412 168 496 or at email@example.com
All other enquiries contact Josh Nipps on 0435 334 244 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Counselling Support Information
- Lifeline are available anytime for people to call.
– Anyone can call Lifeline WA on 13 11 14 for advice and they will be referred to the most appropriate service for them at the time. It is highly recommended that parents, teachers, staff and young people call this line for help
– Kids Helpline is available anytime.
– Headspace can provide information and help.
– Youth Focus can provide counselling and possibly go to the school to help.
- The Department of Sports and Recreation (DSR) have also offered a counselling service. Just advise them you are referred from Basketball WA or DSR. Contact Details: OPTUM Phone Number – 1300 361 008.